Under the Operating Licence for Munster, there
is provision to produce quicklime and cement in each of our kilns.
Currently, of the six kilns at Munster, only four are operational.
The purpose of each of the kilns is as follows:
- Kiln 1 - Decommissioned in 1998.
- Kiln 2 - Shut down in late 2010.
- Kiln 3 - Produced quicklime prior to the construction of kiln 5 as a dedicated quicklime kiln in 1979. Now primarily used for the production of grey clinker, used for the manufacture of general purpose cement.
- Kiln 4 - As per kiln 3 above.
- Kiln 5 - Produces quicklime.
- Kiln 6 - Produces quicklime.
At the Munster Plant, we produce nearly 100 per cent of the quicklime consumed in Western Australia, primarily using kilns 5 and 6. Kilns 3 and 4 are also used for this purpose when either kiln 5 or 6 is shut down for scheduled maintenance or when there is an increased demand for quicklime.